Days are likely dwindling for the “Roadless Rule,” a Clinton-era protection for millions of acres of near-pristine national forest land from logging and roads. A Tuesday notice from the U.S. Department of Agriculture is the most serious threat as of late. The rule is “a one-size-fits-all restriction that has frustrated land managers and served as a barrier to wildfire risk reduction,” Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins’ press release reads.
While the feds argue the rule is a hindrance to fighting and preventing wildfires, environmentalists say otherwise.
“More roads mean more risk of wildfires,” said Emilie Ritter, spokesperson for Greater Yellowstone Coalition. She cited a 2007 study from the Pacific Biodiversity Institute that found more than 90% of all wildfires occurred within a half-mile of a road.
Nine Wyoming-based public lands organizations advocated this summer in support of keeping the rule in place. That includes Wyoming Wilderness Association, where Teton-area resident Ariel Kazunas is the communications director.
“Rescission would open [Wyoming] up to some pretty significant changes and alterations that the state most likely would never rebound from,” Kazunas told KHOL on Tuesday.
The rule significantly limits logging and road-building on nearly 58 million acres of national forest lands across 10 western states, including 3.2 million acres in Wyoming. That includes intact national forests from the Bridger Teton to the Medicine Bow in the southern half of the state.
Agriculture Secretary Brooke Rollins’ Tuesday’s announcement followed up on the administration’s 2025 promise to repeal the 25-year-old rule, calling it “outdated.”
And it’s just the latest headwind.
In June, U.S. Sen. Mike Lee, a Utah Republican, attempted to amend the Wildfire Protection Act which also sought to nullify the rule.

Since 2001, the rule has protected 117 inventoried areas across the state. (Wyoming Wilderness Association)
Wyoming politicians have steered other attempts, too, including U.S. Rep. Harriet Hageman who introduced a bill in a House subcommittee this spring. That would also strip protections and make the rule harder to restore than an administrative rescission. Wyoming Secretary of State Chuck Gray, the frontrunner candidate after this week’s primary to replace Hageman in the House, supports the effort.
“The roadless rule was a Clinton-driven, left-driven attempt to hurt our public lands, and it needs to be removed,” said Gray at a Wyoming Public Radio candidate forum.
A rescission would pass decision-making down to local forest managers and advance the Trump administration’s goal of increasing national timber production. Idaho and Colorado have their own state roadless rules which would supersede the end of the federal protection. But no such protections exist in Wyoming.
“Management of our public lands closer to the people that actually live, work, and play there has been a steady drumbeat of mine during my time as Governor of Wyoming,” said Gov. Mark Gordon in the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Aug. 18 press release. “Proper management includes an opportunity to keep our forests healthy and less prone to fire dangers.”
In addition to environmental organizations, public reaction so far shows the administration’s move to privatize land is unpopular. A July poll from nonpartisan coalition Keep it Public Wyoming, and pollster Cygnal, estimated 91% of Wyomingites support existing management policies.
Firefighters have also said getting rid of the rule isn’t necessary. More than 100 penned a letter to Congress this spring saying ending it could lead to more human-caused wildfire, not less, according to Oregon news outlets.
The deadline to make a public comment is Sept. 21.





